Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Research Blog #8 Case

I have found dozens of cases to support my argument. The website "studenetdebtcrisis.org" has been a very useful resource. Below is an excerpt from one of my main cases from 2016:

"I went to college because my high school was a college-prep school. What else was there to do after high school? Go to college. That was my option. I was never informed of other options or careers that didn't need a college degree. I wasn't prepared for a community college to offset some of the cost while I made up my mind. So I ended up a music performance major (because I can be anything I want to be!) and a private 4 year college. Thankfully, I wised up and left before graduation; however, I still have 40,000 in student loan debt... one of these loans is over 20,000 on a private loan with a 8.6% interest rate.

Gina chose her major based on her passion for music performance and incurred thousands of dollars in debt. This is a common theme among Generation Me college students that are unaware of the financial consequences of their choice of major. Rising tuition costs should cause students to carefully choose their major by measuring their projected earnings against their projected debt.

1 comment:

  1. It would be good to have more detailed cases, but a number of shorter ones might also work.

    ReplyDelete